Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Hamburg

Hamburg is a very different city from Berlin. So different that it might not be the same country.
Hamburg is wealthy, with high price designer stores abounding and lots of department stores.
The harbour city must have all its wealth from years of trading. The harbour is vibrant and hard working.
The architecture in the areas I saw was reminiscent of Paris, and then by the harbour and in the downtown area there are canals like Venice.
There is large and beautiful lake in the centre of the city and I stayed in a hotel right opposite.
The Hamburg Kunsthalle has an amazing 20th century collection.
A entirely new city, Hafencity, is being built on the harbour, with a huge new concert hall.
It was cold, cold bit the second day it was sunny and cheery.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sue. Hamburg sounds gorgeous. I have been to Berlin and I thought it a little sterile but interesting in 1995. Love reading the blogs. Love B & B

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice to see you following! I hope all is going well. I got an update from Rob

    ReplyDelete